Here’s a summary of the current workshops I teach for improv performers. I can customize any of these or put together a special curriculum for your group. Contact me for availability and rates.
Advanced Specialty Workshop:
Are your scenes trapped in “the void”? Do your characters stand around too much, talking at one another? Does everything always seem to happen in some generic “room” somewhere?
Bring everything into sharper focus with detailed environments the audience can see! A strong “Where” always gives you something to do and a place to turn if the scene drags. In this class you’ll learn to boost your physicality and explore the Where for everything you need: Character, Status, Conflict, and Funny.
- Stop playing scenes in “the void”
- Make your environment and physicality choices stronger, more detailed, and varied
- Discover and fix “bad habits” that creep into your object work
- Help your scene partners bring the Where to life
- Always have something to do (or return to) in a scene
- Understand how environment connects to other scene elements: Character, Status, Conflict, etc.
STUDENTS PLEASE NOTE: This class emphasizes movement and physicality. Please dress in comfortable clothing that lets you move freely. If you can, try to arrive early to stretch.
Check out Improv Illusionist, my website for improvisers who want to be more physical. Get my latest tips for environment, object work, and physicality in character and performance. The Improv Illusionist book is planned for release in Q4 2021.
Customized Improv Workshops
Improv is spontaneous and different every time. Why should your workshops be any different?
Tell me your requirements and the space and time available. I’ll build a customized workshop curriculum to match. Get a general intro to the fundamentals or get really specific. I can deliver single sessions, multi-day sessions, intensive weekends, or any combination.
You provide the workshop space and I’ll come to you! (Travel expenses and accommodation required outside the Greater Toronto Area.)
My physical improv workshops are in-person only. I can teach many other topics online via Zoom or other online meeting software of your choice.
Just get in touch to discuss your specific needs.
I’ve been a professional comedy performer for over 20 years, including 4 on stage with The Second City Toronto. I offer various coaching services to watch you work, provide notes, and drill exercises to boost your performers chops.
- Small Group Coaching: Live in-person coaching in the Greater Toronto Area. Or, if you can provide travel and accommodation, I’ll come to you!
- 1:1 Coaching: Working on something specific? Preparing for an audition? Let’s meet (online or in-person) and discuss it. Custom scheduling and coaching rates available.
- Virtual Coaching Available: Send me video of you and/or your group in action (live performance or rehearsal). I’ll send back detailed written notes. Or book live coaching sessions via live video (Zoom, Skype, etc.).
Contact me to discuss how I can help.