Here’s a summary of the current improv workshops I teach. I can customize any of these or put together a special curriculum for your group. Contact me for availability and rates.
Advanced Specialty Workshop:
Are your scenes trapped in “the void”? Do your characters stand around too much, talking at one another? Does everything always seem to happen in some generic “room” somewhere?
Bring everything into sharper focus with detailed environments the audience can see! A strong Where always gives actors and their characters something to do and a place to turn if things are tanking. In this class you’ll learn to heighten your environment choices and boost your physicality, and then how to explore the Where for everything else you need: Character, Status, Conflict and Funny.
- Reduce or eliminate scenes in “the void”
- Make your environment and physicality choices stronger, more detailed, and varied
- Discover and fix “bad habits” that have crept into your object work
- Assist your scene partners in bringing the Where to life
- Always have something to do (or return to) in a scene
- Understand that Environment connects to all other elements of a scene: Character, Status, Conflict, etc.
STUDENTS PLEASE NOTE: This class emphasizes movement and physicality. Please dress in comfortable clothing that allows you to move freely. If you can, try to arrive early to stretch.
Check out Improv Illusionist, my website for improvisers who want to be more physical. Get improv news and my latest tips for environment, object work, and physicality in character and performance.
Customized Improv Workshops
Improv is spontaneous and different every time. Why should your workshops be any different?
Tell me your requirements and the space and time available and I’ll build a customized workshop curriculum to match. Get a general survey of the fundamental improv topics, or get really specific. With over 20 years teaching experience, I can deliver single sessions, multi-day sessions, intensive weekends, or any combination.
You provide the workshop space and I’ll come to you! (Travel expenses and accommodation required outside the Greater Toronto Area.)
My physical improv workshops are in-person only, but I can teach many other topics online via Zoom or other online meeting software of your choice.
Just get in touch to discuss your specific needs.
I’ve been a professional comedy performer for 20 years, including 4 with The Second City Toronto. I offer various coaching services to watch you work, provide notes and recommendations, and drill exercises to boost your performance chops.
- Small Group Coaching: Live in-person coaching in the Greater Toronto Area. Or, if you can provide travel and accommodation, I’ll come to you!
- 1:1 Coaching: Working on something specific? Preparing for an audition? Let’s meet (online or in-person) and discuss it together. Custom scheduling and coaching rates available.
- Virtual Coaching Available: Send me video of you and/or your group in action (live performance or rehearsal) and I’ll send back detailed written notes. Or book live coaching sessions via live video (Zoom, Skype, etc.).
Contact me to discuss how I can help.