Official Bio – David Raitt
After obtaining academic degrees in Cognitive Science and then Law, David Raitt took the obvious next step and turned to comedy. He has since become an accomplished performer and instructor of improvisation and sketch comedy. He is an alumnus of The Second City Canadian National Touring Company and has appeared as part of the Mainstage ensemble for several extended contracts. To date, he has performed in eleven Second City revues, in Toronto, at theatres and events all over Canada, and on Norwegian Cruise Lines.
Dave has over 20 years of experience as an improv instructor. He especially loves physical comedy, offering specialty workshops in environment, object work, and physicality in character and performance. He is the curator of Improv Illusionist, a website for improvisers who want to “be more physical.” His first book about physical improv techniques will be published by Bloomsbury/Methuen Drama, scheduled for August 2023.
He also uses improv to teach interpersonal communication skills to business teams, students, at-risk youth, and the public.
Dave has been honoured to perform with distinguished Second City alumni, including Joe Flaherty and Colin Mochrie. He once performed solo as the opening act for the legendary comic duo The Smothers Brothers.
Dave writes, produces, and performs sketch comedy. Past shows include Workaholics: Scenes from the Office Grind, ALL THE RAGE (nominated for a 2008 Canadian Comedy Award), and Between Commutes (2008 Toronto Fringe “Patrons Pick”). He also writes customized sketches for business presentations, conferences, and fundraisers, and has been Master of Ceremonies for many public functions. He also wrote film reviews for Metroland Media Group for three years.
Today he lives in Oakville, Ontario, Canada, and is a proud member of the Oakville Improv Theatre Company. He regularly improvises and teaches in and around the Greater Toronto Area.
Visit https://improv.DavidRaitt.com for Dave’s appearance calendar and information on workshops and coaching. If you’re an improviser and want to learn how to be more physical in your scenes, check out https://ImprovIllusionist.com.
Cool Links to other David Raitt Projects
- Connect with me on LinkedIn for more information and my social posts.
- The Bigger Bang – Sci-fi comedy podcast produced in association with Oakville Improv. Much like The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, the BBC radio play produced in the 1970s. Among many roles, I play the endearingly cranky Professor Feynstein. After a brief hiatus because of COVID-19, we’re now back recording new episodes!
The Second City history
These are the 11 revues I performed over my tenure with The Second City. (Dates are approximate. “Ensemble” means I joined the Mainstage cast for an extended contract but did not help write the original show.)
- If it’s Tuesday, this must be Belleville (2000, TourCo)
- When Bush Comes to Shove (2001, TourCo)
- The Puck Stops Here (2001, TourCo)
- Students Rule (2001, TourCo/EdCo)
- Honk If You Love Cheeses (2001, Mainstage understudy)
- Family Circus Maximus (2001, Mainstage understudy)
- Psychedelicatessen (2002, Mainstage ensemble)
- Best of The Second City (2006, TourCo understudy)
- Bird Flu Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (2006, Mainstage understudy)
- The Second City at Sea (2007, Norwegian Cruise Lines)
- Facebook of Revelations (2007, Mainstage ensemble and 2008, Tour)